Friday, April 9, 2010

The last corner

What is it about the last corner of the race?  I remember back to my high school track days.  I'm clipping along at a decent pace, working hard, keeping a sight on the front...sometimes even in the front. Then the last curve comes in the 300 meter hurdles...

My coach always called that the "monkey on your back" curve.  It seemed that you began running slower, heavier, almost as if you entered an alternative space.  That last 100 meters was the hardest part of the race. You had to just gut it out and leave everything on the table, even when it felt like your mind and will were defying your body.

That's how this last corner for my thesis feels.  Like I've begun running in place, heavier, slower and weighed down with exhaustion.  I just need to turn the corner and see the finish line to turn on the after burners and kick my final boost toward the finish line.

I know I can do this, but this race feels longer than I expected all of a sudden.  I think I will go design graduation party announcements.  Yes, just what I need to find my inner kick and finish this race!

No comments:

Post a Comment