Saturday, January 2, 2010

Excuses, excuses

We have so much.  We are so blessed.  In fact we have more than we will ever really need or use, so why then do I stand in a walk-in pantry of food and "can't find anything to eat"?  Or the walk-in closet of clothes and have "nothing to wear"?  I think it is a symptom of how I have gotten too accustomed to wanting the easy way.

Just think about it.  We fill our lives with stuff, projects, toys and intentions and then find ourselves at our wit's end trying to take care of them or even really enjoy them. We are always looking for the next great solution, the "magic wand" that will help us clean, organize, lose weight, reduce stress, give us more time, improve relationships, etc.  Face it, I want the easy way.

I used to work out every single day and I loved it!  I loved running, the fresh air, even the cold air.  I loved swimming, gymnastics, soccer, track, softball and bikes.  I was always active.  Then I went through a period of life where I let myself get so busy with life and doing that I didn't make time for it...at all.  Since then, I have gotten back into a bit of a routine but find my middle aged body defying my best efforts.  So, the books say, you have to work harder and longer at this age. What? You mean my 10-minute total body workout isn't enough?

You'd think I got asked to reorganize my entire life to find 60-90 minutes a day to be active.  Really?  Is life that full that I can't walk the dogs every day? Are things so tight that I can't take a little time to ride my bike (or use the home gym or gym membership more often)?  No, not really.  Face it, I want the easy way.  It's much easier to make excuses than to just do it!

But excuses will only serve to strangle my dreams, limit my "take off" (literally) and inhibit my wings.  So that's it.  I'm done with excuses.  I'm living ... I'm flying ... I've got places to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment