Sunday, June 6, 2010

Touching today and yesterday

My teenage daughter and I have just returned from a mother-daughter shopping trip to the Farm Chicks show in Spokane, Washington. First thing in the door, your eyes light up with the wonder of fabrics, decor, furniture and fun that fill the rooms. In fact, we found ourselves having to slow down, breathe and take our time because the show is wonderful and overwhelming all at once! Farm Chicks is a "smorgasbord" of delight to a woman who loves unique, antique and boutique shopping.


As I wandered the rows of vendor booths, I dabbled and touched today and yesterday. I saw the textiles and items of the past being adored and reintroduced to new homes, new families and new stories. I couldn't help but reminisce of hours in my grandma's jewelry box, of projects hubby's grandma sewed with love for her family and of my own family and how much they mean to me. In a language I speak best, caring, baking, creating and giving is my language of love. Today I was surrounded by hundreds of people who do this for a living! It was deeply inspiring to me.

This evening my bed is adorned with fantastic new red and white toile and chenille pillows, darling antique accents have been added to the house and a shiny vintage chandelier hangs in the basement awaiting it's new home in my daughter's bedroom. A spoil any determined shopper would be proud of! But I have a contented peace in my heart tonight as well. I have wonderful new things, but most of all I have a gratefulness in my heart for my family, for my heritage, for our blessings and for the fresh rhubarb strawberry crisp on the counter reminding how much they mean to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment